DownloadHelper is a tool for web content extraction. Its purpose is to capture video and image files from many sites.
Just surf the Web as you are used to, when DownloadHelper detects it can do something for you, the icon gets animated and a menu allows you to download files by simply clicking an item
For instance, if you go to a YouTube page, you'll be able to download the video directly on your file system. It also works with MySpace, Google videos, DailyMotion, Porkolt, iFilm, DreamHost and others.
Since version 3.1, you can setup the extension to automatically convert the downloaded movies to your preferred video format.
When you are on a page containing links to images or movies, you can download some or all of them at once. Moving the mouse over the items in the menu will highlights the links directly in the page to make sure they are the ones you want to pick up.
DownloadHelper also allows you to download files one by one, so that you keep bandwidth to surf for other stuff to download.
From version 4.4.1 to 4.5
* Here is an improvement that has been requested by many users for a long time: getting a meaningful default file name instead of just a serie of digits that you get from most sites. Details about the Smart Naming feature are there: http://www.downloadhelper.net/smartname.php.
* Filtered out some special characters in file names when using the Capture from YouTube link(s) method.
* Updated locales.
From version 4.4 to 4.4.1
* Fixed broken gallery capture.
* Fixed YouTube widget menu: the menu attached to the widget was misplaced, due to a bug in Gecko (Firefox layout engine), revealed by a change in YouTube page structure. This was causing the Quick Download service to be started immediately instead of giving the menu choice.
* Fixed exception in converter path setting (this could occur on non-Windows platforms only).
* Updated locales.
From version 4.3 to 4.4
* Extended download menu: when you move the mouse over the videos in the download menu, you can see a sub-menu giving direct access to all possible actions you can take on this media (Download, Download & Convert, Copy url to clipboard, ...). Note that you can still click the main entry as it was before, with your configured quick keys. If you prefer the old way menu, you can easily switch back from the extension preferences, section General, tab Behavior, parameter Extended download menu.
* The History feature now also tracks MP4 files, not only FLV.
* Added Czech locale.
From version 4.2 to 4.3
* Ever been annoyed getting video ads triggering DownloadHelper notification ? The new black list feature allows to filter out some media hosting sites. Check the preferences, section Capture, tab Black list, or hold CTRL when clicking on the video to launch the Add to black list service.
* Added video search from within the extension system menu (right-click on the DownloadHelper icon).
* Many minor fixes and improvements in the user interface.
From version 4.1 to 4.2
* All known YouTube high quality formats are now handled. See the YouTube preferences help page for details on the configuration.
* MP3Tunes services, such as sending a video directly to your mobile phone, are fully integrated with the capability to upload the audio track and/or the full video. See this page for details and demo videos.
* Added mobile phone 3GP pre-defined conversion format. Click here to add this format to your list of configurations. For details about embedded video conversion, visit this page.
* Fixed 'Media' sub-menu disappearing suddenly in the Tools and context menus.
* Added Russian locale.
* Several minor fixes.